Tuesday 8 December 2015

North Carolina: For What We Are About To Receive - Give Thanks

Whilst visiting my sister in North Carolina we had a family Thanksgiving Dinner the Sunday before the big day and then they went off to visit family in California this year for the actual Thanksgiving. Mr R and I stayed at my sister's house in North Carolina to look after the house and the dogs.  I have been home for Thanksgiving over the years but I can't remember the last time I cooked the whole meal.
We didn't want a whole turkey, there was only the two of us and we didn't want a ton of leftovers as well as the fact that Mr R was travelling home the following day.  I would be staying another week and didn't want to be faced with loads and loads of food left over.

I bought a packet of four turkey wings which were huge and loaded with meat.  I cut up the sweet potatoes, potatoes, onion, yellow squash and covered with a little bit of oil and spread out on a baking dish.  The turkey wings were placed on top of the vegetables, seasoned lightly and popped into the oven for about one and a half hours.
We still had some cranberry sauce left over from the family meal we had the Sunday before leaving one less thing for me to make.

I bought a packet of cornbread stuffing which looked interesting.  Melt some butter and saute some onion and celery until starting to just brown and add chicken or vegetable stock. When the stock boils you add the stuffing (just stale bread and corn bread really), mix well and spread in a baking dish. Bake about 30 minutes until brown.
I also made a baked sweetcorn side dish I recently discovered but one which will be included in our family meals for the future.  In a large bowl mix one 14oz can of sweetcorn (including the water), one 14oz can of creamed sweetcorn, one cup soured cream, half a cup of butter melted, chopped red chilli or red chilli flakes to taste depending on how spicy you want it.  Mix in one box or packet of corn bread mix (you could use corn meal and self raising flour with a pinch of salt).  Pour into a greased 9" square baking tin and bake at 350F/180F for 50-60 minutes.  Really tasty and guaranteed to become a family favourite.

Green vegetables and gravy completed our meal along with a glass or two of red wine!
As I mentioned Mr R was flying back to the UK the following day so I have made him a little Thanksgiving leftover takeaway  meal. The plane food is never great and I thought it would be nice to have something tasty!

Don't know when I will be home for Thanksgiving again however this one will stay in my memory for a very long time!  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Aww, to you too Heidi! It must be tough to be in UK for thanksgiving when you;re so used to it being such a huge event in your year in the States. Glad you got to enjoy a 'proper' one (or two!). Hoe you all have a fab Xmas too.
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie! I think I will do a huge Thanksgiving dinner next year!

      Delete
  2. Looks FAB Heidi and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, it was a lovely change to be home.

      Delete
  3. Your sweetcorn bake sounds delicious, but I've no idea what creamed sweetcorn is. Can you buy it over here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creamed sweetcorn comes in a can and is in the area near the sweetcorn. You can buy it most places and also Green Giant.

      Delete