Sunday 22 February 2015

Sourdough Pancakes for Pancake Day

Pancake Day - I bet most people in the UK have the thin 'crepe' like pancakes with lemon and sugar. I have never had much luck with these and combined with being American I tend to make the thicker American style pancakes for Pancake Day. (Secret: they are appropriate for any day!)

I decided to spice up my usual pancake batter and add some of the sourdough starter I keep in the fridge and see what happened.
After mixing all my ingredients I added the sourdough starter, mixed well and left to stand 5-10 minutes.
The trick it to let them get loads of bubble on the surface before you flip them over and you only need leave them 30-40 seconds before serving.
Serve with lashings of real maple syrup (mine comes from Vermont, as do I), Moose Maple Butter and a sprinkling of icing sugar and Enjoy
American Pancakes

In a large bowl mix:
200gm Self Raising Flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
300ml milk

Mix well then add:
3 large tablespoons of sourdough starter and mix again

Leave to stand 5-10 minutes

At this point you can add 200gm blueberries if you want.

Drop large spoons of batter onto a griddle or large frying pan that has a know of butter and a tsp of sunflower oil heated leaving space between the spoonfuls.

Cook until the surface has lots of bubbles (see photo above) then flip and cook a further 30-40 seconds to brown the underside.  

Serve on a warmed plate and garnish with a knob of butter, either unsalted or maple butter, pour over real maple syrup and sift a little icing sugar on top.

I was not paid to write this review and as usual all photos and opinions are my own.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the thick pancakes Heidi. I've never tried them with sourdough though, looks like it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sourdough seemed to make them more sturdy and they kept their form. Very tasty indeed!

      Delete
  2. Delish! I'm more of a crepe fan if I'm honest, however I really want to try sourdough American style pancakes now!
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of any type of pancake and I certainly like the sound of these.

    ReplyDelete