Sunday 12 January 2014

Sunday Soup - Celeriac and Root Tops


I like to make a soup on a Sunday afternoon for Mr R and myself to take to work during the week and for father-in-law to have for his lunchtime.


I usually base the soup around something that is leftover from our Sunday lunch and this week it was the rest of the roast celeriac (see post Veg of the month for January).


I finely chopped an onion, three small carrots and one large potato and sauteed them in some olive oil until the onions started to get opaque then chucked in the remainder of the celeriac after I had peeled the outside skin off. 


I also added the beetroot tops from the bunch of beetroot I got in the market yesterday and some of the red chard form the rainbow chard from the allotment.


I topped the vegetables with vegetable stock water and added salt&pepper and let it cook until the carrots and potato pieces were soft.

Take the pot off the heat and let cool for 4-5 minutes then I used my stick blender to blend the soup, stopping before it was too smooth so that there was a little bit of texture. A few drops of smoked chipotle Tabasco sauce and taste!


Oh my, this is a good one.  I will be looking forward to my lunchtime soup tomorrow all morning.  What sandwich will I take to go with it?

The celeriac cost £1.20 and we had this for Sunday lunch and in the Sunday Soup.  Six portions plus a few other vegetables including free beetroot tops (they are usually thrown away by my father-in-law if I am not quick) and the chard from the allotment, makes this a very frugal soup.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment