Tuesday 7 January 2014

It's meatloaf tonight!

I love those winter weather days when you want some comfort food and what is better than something your mother used to cook!

My mom's meatloaf was legendary. There was always too much to finish for dinner which meant meatloaf sandwiches for lunch the next day! Hooray!

I follow my mom's recipe which is basically a list of ingredients and you use the quantities to taste and depending on how much mince meat you use.

I get my ingredients out ready and assemble in a large bowl.


I start with lean mince beef. Today I used about 1/2 lb to which I added two eggs, one onion finely choped, 4-5 mushrooms sliced, one tin of plum tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, dried oregano, salt&pepper, a good handful of porridge oats and a few drops of Tobasco sauce (the smoked chipotle variety).


When it is all mixed up thoroughly put into a loaf tin.


I lay slices of streaky bacon on top, tucking the edged in slightly and place on a baking sheet in a pre-heated oven (180o) and bake for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size.

 
Tonight I served the meatloaf with boiled potatoes but mash or noodles work really well too.  A bottle of Waitrose Beaujolais went down a treat tonight too.
 
 
My only regret is that it was so good that we ate it all and there was none left for sandwiches tomorrow!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment