Monday 30 December 2013

A Quick Quiche - Using Up Bits-n-Pieces


Tonight I fancied making something different from all the festive food we have been eating.  I also wanted to use up some things in the fridge. I like to start the New Year with a clear fridge.

I had some pastry in the fridge so decided on a quiche.  I always like to prepare all the components and then put them into the pastry and straight into the oven.


I sautee my onions, boil and chop the broccoli, grate the cheese and anything else that needs preparing.

I use a stoneware dish to cook and like to use 8 eggs for this size quiche.



I had a small piece of broccoli in the fridge as well as a small piece of cheddar and a small bit of Long Clawston stilton.  I grated them both.


Then the layering starts.  First the sauteed onions followed by the cooked broccoli.


Next layer I tore up some Parma ham and dropped that on top.


then the Stilton cheese,


I poured the egg mixture on top (I had about 100ml of double cream left over and added about the same amount of milk to the beaten eggs), then topped it all with the grated cheddar cheese. This is the point where I trim around the sides and fold a flap of pastry to give a raised bit of crust.


Into a pre-heated oven about 180-190oC for approximately 40-45 minutes.  I always check the middle with a sharp knife and if it comes out dry then it is done.


Tonight we had the quiche warm with a salad and freshly boiled beetroot but once cooled it also makes a great lunch item.


Mr R and his father thoroughly enjoyed their 'end of year' quiche and both look forward to more tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds nice! Interesting to see how you make the pastry "flap". Most people trim off the pastry to make it look "neat". What do they do with the trimmings, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete