Tuesday 12 November 2013

Sunday Soup Time

This week I made a really lovely soup which I must say hasn't lasted long!  I am constantly making lovely food for Mr R and myself for very little money.  I like to get the most out of the food we have and hate wasting.

Recently I discovered these little packs of dried pulses and barley in Tesco for £0.45. 


This is perhaps not the cheapest way to buy pulses but I would recommend these packets for both someone wanting to try to use pulses for the first time perhaps and a great way to have a ready measured mix to transform your soup.

You do need to think ahead if you want to make the Vegetable Broth Mix because the mix needs to be soaked in cold water for 8-12 hours.


In the meantime whilst the vegetable mix was boiling I was also cooking up some chicken and turkey  carcasses that I had been storing in the freezer just waiting to be made into stock.  I usually put carrots and celery in my stock and use later on in the soup


I drained the vegetable mix after boiling it for about 30 minutes, then added it to my stock.

For very little money I made a huge pot of soup.  The cost of the veg mix £0.45 plus some carrot, onion, celery and the usual spices, salt&pepper.  There was enough for us to have for lunch on the weekend, two lunches for work and still loads to take to father-in-law for his lunches.

 
A warming, delicious soup for only a few pence per portion!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment