Saturday 12 May 2012

Food You Can't Say No To - Book Review


Its' always exciting to get a copy of a new book and ever more so before the official publication date so I jumped at the offer from Quadrille Books (www.quadrille.co.uk) to have a look at this new work out by Tamasin Day-Lewis.  Tamasin writes for people who love food and want to get the best out of their time in the kitchen with simple, inviting and yet incredibly tasty recipes.  She has written several cook books since her first publicaton in 2007 and regularly writes for magazines such as Vogue, Sainsbury's Magazine and Stella (the magazine included with The Telegraph newspaper)

Tamasin has also appeared in two television series and it was one of these that I first became aware of her.  I liked her easy presenting (looking great and comfortable in jeans and casual shirt) and having such an easy style.  Her language style is eloquent and flowing but not gratuitous.  I have spent hours deciding which recipe to try first and enjoying hearing Tamasin as I read it.  I felt as if she was talking directly to me and was quite disappointed when she didn't hand me a plate of what she had just cooked!!

I have spent loads of time trying to decide which recipe to make for this review but there were so many great sounding recipes such as Smoked Mackerel Pate with Capers, Red Onion and Anchovies (page 36), Salmon and Scallop Chowder (page 48) or Pear and Blueberry Tatin (page 131) but something that tickled my fancy was the recipe for Orange Marmalade Vodka (page 107)!


I made some Seville Orange Marmalade with Chilli last year to include in my Christmas Food Hampers for family so I thought it would be fun to use this to make the vodka.  the recipe is really simple:-



"Put two thirds of a jar of good quality tawny marmalade (such as Oxford) in a sterilised kilner jar with 1 litre vodka.  Seal and leave in a cool place for 2 weeks, turning it every so often.  Strain and decant into little bottles for your friends, or simply your own delectation - with or without the pudding." (this makes reference to the accompanying recipe of Steamed Orange Sponge with Seville Orange Marmalade)


I think this vodka will taste excellent with tonic water and ice or that Italian fizzy orange (Orangina).

Food You Can't Say No To - Tamasin Day-Lewis
Publisher: Quadrille, 2012
Hardback: £20.00
Disclaimer: I reviewed this book because I adore getting new cook books, reading them and cooking recipes from them.  Except for a copy of the book I received no payment from the publisher for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment