Monday 19 June 2017

Best Potato Salad You Will Ever Make - Perfect for Summer BBQs

I don't really like mayonnaise and most potato salad recipes use mayonnaise to make the dressing.  On a trip to the US last year my sister and I ordered a sandwich which came with a side of potato salad.  I tasted it like I always do, not expecting to like it, but WOW it was really good.

The waitress explained how they made it and as soon as I got back to the UK I set about trying to re-create the recipe.  I must say I am particularly pleased with the result which has now become my signature, bring to any event potato salad!

You can boil any potatoes but the new, waxy type are best.  I usually boil about about 1.5kg. There is no need to peel them but that is optional.  Once boiled let the potatoes cool.

In the meantime I fry up some smoked streaky bacon until crispy then put that aside to cool on a piece of kitchen towel to help absorb any bacon fat.
I usually only use one Philadelphia and one sour cream however for a big family gathering I cooked 3kg of potatoes so doubled up on the dressing.

Initially I whipped the Philadelphia (cream cheese) until thick.
Slowly beat in the sour cream and pour over the potatoes and at this point add crumbled bacon. Check salt and pepper as the bacon can be quite salty so you won't need quite so much.
If any of my guests are vegetarian I take some out before adding the bacon.  Often I  chop chives or spring onions for the top before setting on the table to serve.
I hope you enjoy this mayonnaise free potato salad as much as our family do.  Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think.  Will you try it this way?

I was not asked to write this post and as usual all opinions and photos are my own and my not be reproduced in any form without my written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment