Thursday 29 September 2016

In a Pickle - Get Preserving for Christmas with Sarson's and Kilner Jars

It's Boxing Day, you are having cold meats and salad and you open the cupboard to get the chutneys and pickles - and horror there isn't any left!  Well if you start now you will have a well stocked cupboard in time for the festivities coming soon.

There is a definite trend towards home pickling and Sarson's are the UK's number one vinegar brand with their vinegar sales up 2.1% year on year and rising. People are also looking on line more for information about pickling including a new generation of picklers. You can search for recipes and hints & tips here.

I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours with Sarson's Vinegar and my two friends Manjiri and Nayna were there too.
Everything was ready for us to get started,
There were four pickling stations each fully ready to make a different pickle and we were then split into small groups.

Sarson's have a new pickling blend to add to their collection - this vinegar does not require the addition of sugar or any other seasonings and has been especially designed for home pickling.
Nayna and I went to the pickled cucumber station,
whilst Manjiri decided to make pickled peppers (Peter Piper and his pecks of pickled peppers were brought to mind!).
The hardest part of the whole operation is peeling and slicing the shallots or little onions without tears running down your face!

Armed with my jar of pickled cucumbers I made my way home all the time thinking what I could pickle next - courgettes maybe or how about pickled peaches!!
Have you tried making pickles of any type? Tell me and other readers in the comments section below what is your favourite.

I was an invited guest of the Sarson's Pickling Workshop. As usual all photos and opinions are my own.

Click Here for Nayna's account of her pickling session with Sarson's!

16 comments:

  1. I am yet to try pickling but I love making my own chutneys. I really want to have my own pickled onions .. I should get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickling is quick and easy - the prep takes the longest then you just put it all together and wait a month or so!

      Delete
  2. It was such a fun event and We made a great team .I loved the cucumber pickle the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cucumbers were the best ones to make - I have now pickled some courgettes too

      Delete
  3. Gosh I love a cucumber pickle. I've made a Katie Stewart recipe for about 30 years, but haven't made any for this year. Need to see if I can fit it into my schedule :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickling is quick and easy and worth fitting in to your schedule!

      Delete
  4. I want to try to make the cucumber and onions pickle Looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good jar of homemade pickles. Your idea of pickled peaches sound rather interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a large jar of pickled eggs for Christmas now.

      Delete
  6. I was just over reading Nayna's post. It sounds like you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have fun - it was something really simple but effective!

      Delete
  7. I have only made the spicy Indian pickles.. these look nice too..hubby dear will love them as he is not fond of spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed making the pickles. Our cucumber one was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a old family recipe of pickling carrot sticks and green chillis and adding some coarse mustard powder to it. However, whenever I make it, after a few days it gets all mouldy. I sure would love to lay my hands on a jar of Sarson's ready pickling vinegar to try out the family recipe. Very useful information, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pickled cucumbers, so delicious. What a fabulous morning you must have all had. GG

    ReplyDelete