Thursday 29 October 2015

Norwegian Escape Inaugural Cruise - And A Reluctant Cruiser!

The things I do for you dear reader! Anyone that knows me knows how reluctant I am to travel aboard any size boat or ship!

So what possessed me to apply to the Mumsnet panel to review the Norwegian Escape Inaugural Cruise from Southampton - I really can't say but I was looking forward to it.

We were invited to board from 11:30 with a sailing time of 18:00 which would include time for a ship tour and mandatory emergency drill.

For the inaugural cruise we sailed out into the English Channel and back at a leisurely pace with an opportunity to try the staterooms, king size beds and super comfy pillows!
This ship is enormous, with a capacity for 4,200 passengers however there are enough places for food and drink and some venues open 24 hours eliminating the need for long queues at meal times.  Almost a whole deck is dedicated to looking after the younger cruiser giving parents a chance for some 'us' time and plenty of above deck activities to keep them busy and happy.

I kept expecting to feel queasy but aside from a few shudders around 23:00 I really didn't feel a thing.
As a group we attended a drinks reception at the District Brew House and onto Food Republic, a Japanese style tapas restaurant with an up to the minute tablet ordering system for dinner.
We were advised to pick three items each but this was really more food than we could eat!
The ship spans 20 decks with a central atrium connecting decks 6, 7 & 8,
giving easy access to some of the 28 dining options and 21 bars and lounges such as Tabacco Road named after the famous Miami establishment.
Not to mention some of the others:-
There is plenty to do outside, including a joggers track, pools, slides, bars, zip wires and climbing wall.
On floors 17 & 18 is the private key card only entry area called The Haven. The Haven by Norwegian on Norwegian Escape offers 95 spectacular, ultra-luxurious suite accommodation. Imagine sitting in the bath and having a view like this!
The Escape will have Miami as it's home base and operate seven-day Eastern Caribbean trips from Miami; ports include St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Tortola, British Virgin Islands; and Nassau, Bahamas
The final decision is that I would certainly try a longer cruise (in calm waters) with Mr R and will be pouring over the Norwegian Cruise Line cruise book.

I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers network Research Panel, a group of parent bloggers who have volunteered to review products, services, events and brands for Mumsnet.  I have not paid for the product or to attend an event.  I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity. (I have received a voucher as a token of thanks for this post)

10 comments:

  1. I've never been on a cruise, but keep toying with the idea the more i read about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also stayed clear but they have moved on so now would consider a longer one!

      Delete
  2. I'm also a reluctant sailor, and feel sea-sick just looking at the sea from dry land, but do love the idea of cruising the Norwegian coast so maybe I could be a convert too!! Ship looks really lovely, and amazing food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a awesome ship, glad you enjoyed your time on it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had gone, it looks amazing and like you I am anxious of sea sickness but this cruise looks like a giant hotel on sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waters were calm so I was OK but who knows if they get a bit choppy!

      Delete
  5. It was lovely to meet you! Hope the wagyu beef transported well to your room ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you too. Wagyu was a nice pre-breakfast snack!

    ReplyDelete