Tuesday 9 July 2013

Nestle ask What's Your BIQ? Breakfast IQ that is!

We have been told many times before that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and there are plenty of statistics and information to prove this.

Nestle have put loads of time and expertise into making sure their breakfast cereals contain as much nutrition as possible and it is good for children to go to school on a bowl of their cereal but now they have taken things a step further.

They have given breakfast combinations a numerical value and this is called your Breakfast I.Q. (BIQ). The formula to work out your BIQ includes values for protein, fibre, calcium, iron, Vit D, energy, fat, saturates, sugar and salts. Also taken into the calculation is the cost factor, how easy it is for the family to sit down together for breakfast and getting the children included in some of the prep.

I was invited to a breakfast meeting to get further information into the BIQ and the opportunity to chat with Nutritionists and with Ben Fogle (in between some of his amazing expeditions!)




Now I have to admit that until that meeting my BIQ was usually '0'! I have the bad habit of skipping breakfast, doing a bit around the house then taking the dog for a walk and ultimately having my first food of the day at around 11:00.


Whilst I was chatting to Ben Fogle he admitted to me that until he had his two children his BIQ was not all that high (unless of course he was on an expedition when energy is all important), but now that he has two young children he makes a point of sitting down as a family for breakfast in case it is the only time of they day they are all at the same place at the same time!


The breakfast with the highest score is Shredded wheat with semi-skimmed milk, served with a glass of orange juice and a banana coming in at a whopping 136!  I have started to try to have breakfast when I wake up and have some white toast with butter and jam which scores 74 or maybe a cereal.

If you want to learn more about what's your BIQ then click here.


All ready to take home and try to improve my BIQ!

 
Thanks you Nestle for breakfast and the education of how important it is and how easy to improve my BIQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment