Thursday 17 January 2013

It's cold outside but I have soup for lunch!!



With the current cold weather outside looking beautiful through the window it is necessary to keep warm when you go outside.  I came back from walking the dog this morning and very much in need of warming up inside!  So naturally I went straight to my pot of chicken stock.

Last night for supper I roasted a small chicken, rubbing the outside with rapeseed oil and sprinkling Tropical Sun Rub Rub for Meat over the top. Into a roasting dish and around the outside I added chopped celery, a couple of tomatoes, onion and half a red pepper.  I roasted this all in a hot oven for about 1 hour 30 mins.


Whilst the chicken rested I put all the veggies, oils and juices into a sauce pan and added a tin of Italian plum tomatoes, some tomato puree and 1/2 teaspoon of Gran Luchito Mexican chilli and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

This made a meal of roast chicken, pasta shells and sauce for myself and Mr R. There was enough for Mr R's sandwiches to take to work, some morsels for the dog and a carcass for me to make my soup broth.

With my broth made (carcass now ready for the hedgehogs to feast on)


I added some of the tomato-vegetable sauce and chicken pieces and blitzed this together. In my bowl I added some left over pasta shells, a dollop of the sauce and some Total Greek Yoghurt sprinkled with a sweet paprika. Heaven in a bowl and just what I needed on a cold, wintery day.


I had thought of saving some for Mr R but it was so good I ate the lot for my lunch today!


Tropical Sun can be found using the link above or follow them on Facebook or Twitter (@TropicalSunFood) for more details.

Gran Luchito can also be found on Facebook or Twitter (@Luchito_Mexico) to find out about the magical Mexican chillis used to make this essential ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment